13 December 2015

Born to Bite (Argeneau, Book 14)

LYNSAY SANDS

Synopsis from Goodreads: Legend has it that Armand Argeneau is a killer in the bedroom...

But with all three of his late wives meeting unfortunate and untimely ends, is this sexy immortal a lover or a murderer? That's what Eshe d'Aureus intends to find out. As an enforcer, it's her job to bring rogue vampires to justice, even if the rogue in question makes her blood race red hot.

Armand knew she was trouble the moment Eshe roared into town on her motorcycle, clad in tight black leather. She claims she's hiding from dangerous fiends, though he suspects something more. But after three wives who've all had trouble remaining, well, undead, Armand is reluctant to open his heart again. Then strange accidents start to happen, each deadlier than the last, and Armand realizes he may not have much time to prove he's a lover, not a slayer.

Stats for my copy: Mass market paperback, Avon Books, 2010.

How acquired: Bought.

My thoughts: My least favorite Argeneau book so far. The characters just never grabbed me. Except Bricker. I enjoyed all of his scenes and was glad when he put in an appearance. The Argeneau books usually have a lot of humor in them but this one was a little lacking. And there was no romance at all. No sexual tension, no build up. When Eshe and Armand first meet, they both realize right away that they are life mates, and fall into bed together very quickly after that. And yes, the circumstances didn't really allow them any time to pussy foot around and get to know each other, what with Eshe there to secretly investigate Armand who was suspected of killing his three wives and his son's wife. And even when it became evident that someone was now trying to kill both Eshe and Armand, I never felt any sense of urgency. I didn't know who was behind the attacks, yet still felt little suspense. And then when the mystery was resolved at the end, the action was quite civil and a bit of a letdown.

I always thought it was rather ridiculous in previous books that the women always faint after having sex. But now apparently it's not just the women, it's life mates. Both Armand and Eshe faint afterwards. Was it always both partners and I just never noticed? Either way, I still think its ridiculous.

And as I complained about previous books, the characters are constantly saying things “dryly”. Three times on one page. And sometimes now they even smile dryly. And towards the end I began to notice that they also often murmured when they spoke. I'm a little tired of both words now.


Regardless, every book can't be a winner, and I'm still a fan of the author, and I'll still continue with the series, though maybe not right away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment