26 June 2011

Mini Reviews

A few quick thoughts about various books I've read...

I Burn For You (Primes, Book 1), by Susan Sizemore.

I've really gotten into the whole vampire/paranormal genre, but other than the Anita Blake books, almost all of what I've read has been a bit lighter fare, chick lit type or bordering on chick lit. So this was a little darker than I'm used to and took a little bit for me to get into. The mythology behind the vamps in this world is a little more convoluted and confusing than I'm used to, but I think the more I read the more I'll understand it. And I do definitely intend to continue with this series. (Received through BookCrossing.


Rescue Me, by Gigi Levangie Grazer

I don't think I've ever read a romance, with star-crossed lovers, where the lovers part ways, and gotten angry about it. You know from reading the first chapter, and yet when it finally happens, I was so disappointed! Fortunately, the ending was still satisfactory.

This is the first book I've read by Grazer, though I have The Starter Wife in my TBR pile somewhere. It started out a little slow at first, but I quickly became very involved and invested in the characters. I definitely want to read everything else Grazer has written now.  (Purchased at a library book sale.)

What Do You Say To A Naked Elf? by Cheryl Sterling

This was an amusing enjoyable read. It got a little confusing at times, and seemed to be an ambitious attempt at creating an alternate world. I thought it might be the first in a series, but when I googled the author, who I'd never heard of, to see what else she'd written, I couldn't really find anything on her. It looks like this may be her only book.  (Purchased at a library book sale.)



Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey, Guardian, Book 4), by Katie MacAlister

It's been awhile since I read the first three books in the series, and at times I felt just a little confused about what had happened previously. But all in all I still enjoyed it, and at the end particularly I didn't want to put the book down and stayed up past my bedtime to finish it.

What bothered me the most: Aisling, who narrates the book, talking about her parents, would refer to Paula as her stepmother, but then also refer to David as her stepfather. And often called him David instead of Dad. This still confuses me. (Purchased at Target.)

Twenties Girl, by Sophie Kinsella

At first I wasn't sure how good this would be as I started out. I've enjoyed all of Sophie Kinsella's books so far. I don't read as much chick lit as I used to, I find as I get older that I just don't relate to the heroines enough! But I ended up becoming totally engrossed in this and not wanting to put it down. Becky Bloomwood, from the Shopaholic series, has become tiresome as she never seems to learn her lesson. But Lara, the heroine of this book, did seem to mature over the course of the story and became a better person for having known Sadie. (Received through BookCrossing.)

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 2), by Charlaine Harris

 While I don't think I loved this one quite as much as the first one, I did still enjoy it very much, and once I started it I finished it quickly. I really like the scenes between Sookie and Eric and his persistent flirtatious...banter, for lack of a better word. I look forward to continuing the series. (Received through BookCrossing.)




The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski

What an awesome book, an incredible story, a wonderful wordsmith. By the time I hit the middle of this book I was completely enraptured. I would definitely list this with my top favorites. As others noted, I too, would have liked a different ending. And I especially would have liked to see Almondine's story wrapped up a little differently! The author has a wonderful literary voice. You can see everything he describes, and feel the emotions he describes. I look forward to more from him someday. (Received through BookCrossing.)

Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 11), by Laurell K. Hamilton

I didn't think I was ever going to finish this book. This is the first Anita Blake I've read that I wanted to end sooner than it did. It just kind of dragged for me. The earlier books in the series were definitely better. I'll probably continue with the series, especially since I have collected most of them, but my enthusiasm has waned. (Purchased off sale shelf at local library.)

No comments:

Post a Comment