07 August 2013

Love Drunk Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs, Book 1)

CAROLYN BROWN

Synopsis: High-powered career woman Austin Lanier suddenly finds herself saddled with an inherited watermelon farm deep in the countryside. She’s determined to sell the farm, until her new, drop-dead sexy neighbor Rye O’Donnell shows up…

Rancher Rye O’Donnell thinks he’s going to get a good deal on his dream property – until he meets the fiery new owner. Rye is knocked sideways when he realizes that not only is Granny Lanier’s city-slicker granddaughter a savvy businesswoman, she’s also sexy as hell…

Suddenly Rye is a whole lot less interested in real estate and a whole lot more focused on getting Austin to set aside her stiletto heels…


Stats for my copy: Mass market paperback, published by Sourcebooks Casablanca, an imprint of Sourcebooks, Inc., 2011; 391 pages; borrowed from the library.

My thoughts: My daughter and I went to the library last weekend as I needed to find a book my boss assigned as mandatory reading. After I located that book, my daughter was still browsing, so I began wandering around gazing at the shelves, and the title LOVE DRUNK COWBOY just jumped out at me. After reading the back cover, I decided to check it out. And am I glad I did. If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be “fun”.

Austin Lanier’s grandmother passed away six months ago, and left everything she owned to Austin, with very specific instructions on how to dispose of her body. No funeral – she wanted to be cremated and her ashes dropped in the Red River on Good Friday. So while Granny Lanier’s friend Pearlita held on to the ashes, Austin had a phone call every Thursday with Granny’s neighbor, Rye O’Donnell, who was taking care of Granny’s property. Granny and Rye had been good friends, and since Granny only described Rye has being younger than her, Austin pictured a man in his 70s with gray hair and a cane.

Rye expected this city slicker granddaughter to come town, do Granny’s bidding regarding her last wishes, sell the property and go back to Tulsa. While he had seen many pictures of Austin – every time Granny got a new one she had to show it off – he was still shocked to see her in person for the first time. Instant attraction and we knew he was already a goner. And Austin was pretty shocked herself to discover that Rye was not the old man she pictured, but a young hot cowboy.

Austin and Rye dance around each other for quite awhile. Austin originally did plan to sell off the farm, but the business of raising watermelons and running the farm quickly got under her skin, not to mention she didn’t want to put the hired hands out of a job. She had taken two weeks vacation from her own job with an oil company in Tulsa, but as the end of her vacation neared and she learned more about the everyday running of the farm, she was more and more loathe to leave.

There’s a lot of humor, a lot of aw-shucks-honky-tonk-country-boy lingo, a mother who is determined her daughter get back to her fancy Tulsa apartment and continue to advance in her career, a sister who thinks the city girl is gonna break her brother’s heart, and then there’s Granny who seems to be guiding Austin’s life from the great beyond.


I’m excited to have discovered a new to me author, and doubly excited to realize that I have two of her other books in my TBR pile – RED’S HOT COWBOY, which is the second book in this series, and MY GIVE A DAMN’S BUSTED, the third book in her “Honky Tonk” series.






No comments:

Post a Comment