18 August 2018

Last Night at the Lobster

STEWART O'NAN

Goodreads synopsis: The Red Lobster perched in the far corner of a run-down New England mall hasn't been making its numbers and headquarters has pulled the plug. But manager Manny DeLeon still needs to navigate a tricky last shift with a near-mutinous staff. All the while, he's wondering how to handle the waitress he's still in love with, what to do about his pregnant girlfriend, and where to find the present that will make everything better.

Stats for my copy: Paperback, Penguin Books, 2008.

How acquired: Bought.

First line: Mall traffic on a gray winter's day, stalled.

My thoughts: This is a slim (146 pages) paperback that took me longer to read than it should have. Partly because I just didn't have a lot of time to read, but partly because I found it a bit of a struggle to get into. The narrative is in present tense, which is my least favorite tense, but once I picked up the flow I decided the author made a good choice there, as it fit the story. The entire book takes place over one day at a Red Lobster, which is being closed down effective the following day. The detail, the minutiae of running a restaurant – I worked in restaurants for several years but reading this I felt like I knew nothing about working in a restaurant. And it certainly didn't make me ever want to do so again! The narrative is from Manny's point of view, so we don't get any insight into any of the other characters. I would've liked to know more about Jacquie, the waitress Manny had an affair with and is still hung up on, and how they got together.


Overall the book was a bit depressing, but I did appreciate the author's talent for imagery, especially in the outdoor scenes with the snow storm. When I walked out of my house I was momentarily surprised that the air was hot and humid instead of freezing cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment