10 November 2018

Why Did You Lie?


Translated from Icelandic by Victoria Cribb

Goodreads synopsis: A journalist on the track of an old case attempts suicide. An ordinary couple return from a house swap in the states to find their home in disarray and their guests seemingly missing. Four strangers struggle to find shelter on a windswept spike of rock in the middle of a raging sea. They have one thing in common: they all lied. And someone is determined to punish them...WHY DID YOU LIE is a terrifying tale of long-delayed retribution from Iceland's Queen of Suspense.

Stats for my copy: Trade paperback, Hodder Paperbacks, 2017.

How acquired: Via BookCrossing.

My thoughts: A new to me author, and I think this is the first time I've read an Icelandic author or a book set in Iceland. The short chapters alternate between three separate storylines. We have a photojournalist who tagged along on a helicopter trip to a remote lighthouse where his three traveling companions will be making repairs. Then we have a police officer whose husband is in a coma after a failed suicide attempt. And then a family who've just returned home after a house swap vacation with a Florida couple. The house swap storyline was the most interesting to me, as the family found items the American couple left behind, and some odd behavior on their security cameras,and began to worry that something happened to the Americans when they're unable to get ahold of them.

The narrative is slowly paced and there isn't much action. There were a few spots where the wording seemed a little unnatural or uneven, but otherwise the translation came across well. I was constantly wondering how the three storylines would eventually link together. And then when they did, boy howdy! The pace suddenly picked up, or maybe I was just reading faster. I was on my couch last night reading when my daughter called me and I jumped when my phone went off.


In the last quarter of the book there were some twists and turns, none of which I saw coming. And even after I'd turned the last page, I was left with a sense of foreboding, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. But I'll definitely be on the lookout for more from this author. 

Also, here's a link to the lighthouse, or to a similar lighthouse, where part of the story is set: http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/watch-incredible-video-stunning-thridrangar-lighthouse-south-iceland
.

No comments:

Post a Comment