07 July 2019

The Killer You Know

A. M. TAYLOR

Stats for my copy: Kindle edition, KillerReads, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, publication date 7/12/19.

How acquired: NetGalley for review.

First line: They find the body on a Sunday.

My thoughts: Browsing the “Read Now” books on NetGalley, the title and cover of this book caught my eye. Then when I saw that a podcast was part of the plot, I was really interested. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I particularly like true crime.

The book is narrated in first person POV by Olivia, whose twin brother Ethan is serving time for murder. A murder that Olivia is convinced he did not commit. That fateful night changed the entire trajectory of Olivia's life, resulting in her going to law school. Ten years later, she's working for a law firm, and still desperately advocating for her brother. Now a true crime podcast (similar to Serial, which I highly recommend) wants to feature her brother's case in it's new season.

The narrative switches with each chapter from “Now” to “Then”. On NetGalley the book is listed as “General Fiction (Adult)”, but it felt more like Young Adult to me. In “Now”, the podcasters, with Olivia's help, are going over everything they can get their hands on regarding the case, and interviewing Olivia, Ethan, and some of their former friends. In “Then”, we're not only in the past, but going backwards, so first we learn about the trial, then the police investigation, and finally the events of the night that led up to the murder. There's a twist right at the end, which I had already guessed halfway into the book.

I didn't really connect with Olivia, though maybe we aren't supposed to, given the piecemeal way she revealed information to us. And since she's narrating, we don't get to know any of the other characters very well. It may be all about getting Ethan freed, but it's also all about Olivia. The ending was a bit abrupt, I would've liked a little more resolution and felt I'd been left hanging. But overall, I enjoyed it well enough. If you have some time to while away, this is a good way to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment