21 August 2019

Smooth (A Love Story, Book 11)

TRACY EWENS

Stats for my copy: ebook, published January 23, 2018.


My thoughts: I've previously read two of Ms. Ewens' books, TASTE, which was just so-so for me, and RESERVED, which I loved loved so much. So when I saw this book offered through Hidden Gems I immediately requested it. And I'm so glad I did.

The story opens with Patrick, co-owner of Foghorn Brewery with his brothers, and Aspen, the brewery's business manager, flying to a conference together. Patrick and Aspen have known each other since they were kids, but Aspen is unaware that Patrick has been silently crushing on her all these years. Aspen is all business, and as far as Patrick knows she has no interest in dating or relationships, so he's pushed his feelings to the side and been satisfied to work side by side. But at the conference they run into her college boyfriend, and seeing Aspen flirt with Lucas awakens those pushed aside feelings and stirs up some jealousy.

Back home at the brewery (literally for Patrick, who lives upstairs), Patrick's mouth keeps saying things without his permission. Things that mortify him, and crack up his brothers. And I cracked up right along with them. I mean I was literally laughing out loud, and even paused more than once to go back and reread a passage. I thought adding some quotes here, but there are just too many to pick from. Suffice it to say he blurts things out that make his feelings a little too evident, and Aspen definitely begins to take notice of him as a man, not just a friend and coworker.
 
I loved both Patrick and Aspen, not to mention Aspen's matchmaking grandmother, though I did occasionally want to shake some sense into Aspen. Her childhood was a bit fraught, with a mother who had a very skewed relationship with relationships, which is now Aspen's excuse for not trusting men and avoiding relationships. She even rains on her brother's parade when he tells her he's asking his girlfriend to marry him. I seriously thought she was going to seriously try to talk him out of it! Fortunately, Patrick grew up with parents who loved each other, and fortunately he had the patience to put up with Aspen's bordering on ridiculous fear of love.


Ms. Ewens has a real talent for writing dialogue, and as with RESERVED, she created a hero I fell for very quickly. I definitely want to read Patricks' brothers' stories now!

Note - while this book is part of a series, and some of the characters from her books are connected, the three I've read so far can all definitely be read as standalones, thankfully since I've been reading out of order which I rarely do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment