06 January 2020

Let It Snow


Stats for my copy: Hardback, Ballentine Books, 2019.

How acquired: Bought.

First line: Christina Antonioni could spot a shoplifter with her eyes blindfolded and both ears stuffed with cotton.

(For the Goodreads synopsis, scroll to the bottom of this post.)

My thoughts: I decided to read some Christmas themed books – even though it was already January – and this one caught my eye while shopping at Barnes & Noble. I'd seen Nancy Thayer's name before, but this was my first time reading her.

I'm not a cold weather person. “Let it snow” is not something you will ever hear me say. I don't like snow, and ice, I don't like cold, I don't like winter. But I do enjoy reading about it! For most of this book, though, the residents of Nantucket were just wishing for snow.

Christina loves Nantucket, and loves her toy shop. Christmas is one of her busiest times of the year, but her joy of the season is marred when she receives a letter from the owner of the property advising that rent is being raised ten percent in the new year. If she can't convince the owner to not raise the rent, she will have to close her shop. I puzzled quite a bit over wondering how much her rent must be for a ten percent hike to affect her badly enough to go out of business. I even went to Google, but could not find anything definitive. But I finally told myself that even though her space was small, it's a tourist town and probably considerably more than anything where I live.

The property owner, a Grinch-like millionaire, has a young granddaughter, Wink, who Christina becomes very fond of. As did I. Wink was well written and was an integral part of the story, and not just a cloyingly cute moppet. Actually all the characters were well written. Christina is friends with the owners of three other shops (all on property owned by Oscar the grouch – and yes, his name really is Oscar!), and I loved their daily lunch get togethers. I especially developed a soft spot for slightly haughty Harriet (who in my mind I pictured as Elaine Hendrix in the remake of The Parent Trap, and now I want to watch that again). And I loved watching the romance between Christina and Wink's uncle Andy develop. The story takes place over a short period of time, but the romance still felt like it built up slowly, without being instalove.

There were plenty of amusing situations without being campy, and overall the book is a feel good heartwarming read, whatever the season.


Goodreads synopsis: Christina Antonioni is preparing for the holidays at her Nantucket toy shop, unpacking last-minute shipments and decorating for her loyal Christmas shoppers. But when her Scrooge of a landlord, Oscar Bittlesman, raises her rent, it seems nearly impossible for Christina to continue business on the wharf.

Even so, Christina hopes there is a warm heart underneath Oscar's steely exterior. When she bonds with Wink, his sweet, young granddaughter who frequents the shop, it becomes clear that perhaps he isn't so cold after all. And with the help of Wink's uncle, who happens to be a charming and very handsome bachelor, this may be the best Christmas any of them could have ever imagined. Nancy Thayer's enchanting Nantucket setting provides the perfect backdrop for this holiday love story 

No comments:

Post a Comment