25 April 2020

Deal with the Devil (Harlequin Presents No. 1194

SANDRA MARTON

Stats for my copy: Mass market paperback, Harlequin Books, 1989.

How acquired: Book Mooch.

First line: It had been a mistake to come to the market.

(For the Goodreads synopsis, scroll to the bottom of this post.)

My thoughtsOk, so, I enjoyed this book for the most part. It's definitely dated, written prior to consent being a big deal (in romance books, I mean), back when (again, in romance books) no meant yes-but-I-don't-want-to-admit-it-to-you-or-myself-so-you'll-have-to-force-me-a-little-until-I-give-in. That scene occurs maybe three thirds in (if I remember correctly - I don't have the book in front of me), but I don't usually have trouble accepting a story for the time it was written in so that was basically just a little hiccup to get past. Actually, prior to that, there was a bit of sub/dom vibe, with the hero demanding that the heroine obey him without question or argument. But then, he WAS trying to save her life and get her safely through a jungle and out of a country being torn apart by insurrection. So I did often agree that she needed to just shut up and stop arguing and do what he said. However, if she had just meekly gone along with him, there wouldn't have been any conflict between them, and we all know a little conflict helps get the sparks flying. 

My biggest issue was her father, who arranged for the hero to marry her and get her out of the country (they had to be married because she had a San Felipe passport so would not have been allowed out on her own but he was an American so his wife would allowed to leave with him), but waited until the last possible moment to tell her, and then that scene was dragged out ridiculously long as he hemmed and hawed while the hero keeps demanding "tell her now or I will!" God, I wanted to kick him. Her father, I mean.

So for me this ended up being a four star read, because I was pretty captivated and read the book in two days. But, if you have issues with non-consent, it may not work for you.

Goodreads synopsis: She was given no choice!


Elena's father rushed her to the San Felipe airport to put her on a plane to Miami. Their homeland in Central America had just erupted in revolution, and no one was safe. But Elena held a San Felipan passport, and officials were not letting any residents leave. Then she spotted American Blake Rogan, a ruthless adventurer she had every reason to despise, and her stomach twisted. Suddenly she knew what was about to happen. "Querida," her father said to her, "when you leave San Felipe, it will be as Mrs. Blake Rogan..

No comments:

Post a Comment