30 May 2020

Detour: My Journey From High-Powered Attorney to Auto Mechanic Trade School


Stats for my copy: pdf review copy; pub. 2020

How acquired: Archangel Ink marketing and the author

(For the Goodreads synopsis, scroll to the bottom of this post.)

My thoughtsA successful attorney who decides to shuck his law practice and go to school to study auto mechanics? Intriguing. I've worked for many attorneys over the past twenty-eight or so years. I currently work for and with attorneys on a daily basis. I can't imagine any of the attorneys I know or have known leaving their law practice to learn how to work on cars. I'm not a car enthusiast (not that I don't love my Kia, who I call Fiona). But the premise of the book sounded interesting enough to accept a review copy when it was offered to me.

And it was interesting. I learned more about cars than I ever thought I'd want to know. Oh, there were technical sections that went over my head or made my eyes glaze over, but more often I was a bit in awe at how much there is to the inner workings of the automobile. What a marvelous invention it was!

I especially liked the anecdotes about the instructors and some of the other students that were sprinkled throughout. The writing flows well enough and leans a little towards stream of consciousness, as if the author were chatting with you about his experiences. And along with all the car knowledge, the author reveals a lot about himself on a personal level. I'm just a few years younger than he, and I can't even imagine leaving my job and going back to school. I admire Mr. Ellis for his courage and his perseverance. And after reading the epilogue I admired him even more.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone considering enrolling in the Automotive Technology Program at Universal Technical Institute. The book would serve well as a primer for the school. Or for anyone interested in learning a little more about what's under the hood of their car.


Goodreads synopsis: David W. Ellis was a successful lawyer, but he was not happy. He wanted something else. In particular, he wanted to learn to work on cars. So in one big leap of faith, he quit his job and enrolled in technical school.

The other students, all of whom were decades younger than David, could tell he was different―he had money. This contrasted heavily with their own financial struggles as they studied to be auto techs. And yet, they couldn't anticipate the enthusiasm with which David pursued his passion for learning. David became a “bro” and found kindred spirits among the 18- and 19-year-olds who were his classmates.

David brings you along for the ride as he relentlessly pursues a year of technical school, sharing his experiences along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment