24 July 2023

Low Tide Bikini (Pleasure Island - Bikini Quartet, Book One

 

LYLA DUNE

Edition read: Kindle edition, Composesum Publishing, LLC, 2013.

How acquired: No idea.

(Goodreads synopsis below.)

My thoughts: At work one day I took my break and then realized I’d left my book at home. So I grabbed my iPad and scrolled to the very bottom of the books in my Kindle app, and this was the book waiting there the longest.

Initially I was a little put off by the heroine, Sam, for a stupid reason I’ll admit. She meets Brock, who is English but has been living in Wales, and when he asks where the loo is she doesn’t know what he means. And I was thinking everyone knows what that means, right? And then there was this exchange:

Who retires at thirty-eight?”

Pro rugby players?”

Rugby?” What the heck was rugby? If she’d never heard of it, it couldn’t be that darn popular. But then again, if it was some kind of sport, that’d explain why she wasn’t familiar with it.

Ok, maybe she’s not familiar with it, but she’s never even heard of it? But then I told myself that there might actually be Americans who don’t know what a loo is, or what rugby is, and who might not know what Brock means when he uses other English words and I needed to get over it. Fortunately that was a short-lived thread in the book and after that Sam didn’t seem to have any trouble understanding Brock.

And after that I got pretty caught up in the story and I really liked Sam and I really really liked Brock. They both have issues to overcome, though I felt Brock’s weren’t really addressed or discussed by the two of them as much as Sam’s were. She eventually opened up to Brock about hers, and in the end he went to great lengths to accommodate her issues, at the risk of losing her, but she never seemed to give any thought to his issues. And at one point his issues did nearly cause him to lose her, but he mentioned his issues and then they moved on without actually talking about why he acted the way he did.

Regardless, I was pretty invested in their romance, I laughed several times, and I might have even teared up when the wonderful resolution came. I definitely want to read the rest of the books in this series.

Goodreads Synopsis:

Brock Knight, a retired rugby player from Wales, moves into his new beach house in North Carolina before Samantha Carlisle has a chance to relocate. When he spots her shagging trophies, he's not sure he wants her to move out. After a devastating breakup, Sam has sworn off men. In an effort to keep her distance from her sexy new landlord, she pretends she prefers women. Will Brock convince her to stay, or will she convince him she's gay?

With an ostrich farm and a slew of naughty naked seniors, Pleasure Island is loads of fun. If you like romance with plenty of sizzle and giggle, this book is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment