21 April 2012

Show No Fear

MARLISS MELTON

I know that romances featuring military men and Navy SEALS have become more popular and prolific, but I haven't really read a lot of them. I've liked what I've read so far, so I thought this book sounded good. The publisher's synopsis:

Lucy Donovan always gets her man. As a fiercely independent CIA agent, she's survived hundreds of death-defying missions. But her latest may just get her killed. Weighed down with a secret she's desperate to keep, the last thing Lucy needs is to be sent undercover with a man who brings out the best – and the worst – in her.

Navy SEAL Gus Atwater never turns down an assignment, even if it means working with the only woman he's ever loved and lost. So with a volatile mix of desire and distrust, Lucy and Gus confront their tangled past. Pretending to be man and wife is risky enough, but now the clock is running out. As their mission escalates from desperate to deadly, will Lucy's secret expose them both?

The book opens with Lucy imprisoned in a warehouse, and Gus having been sent in to extract her. She's been beaten, and came close to being raped, and once the ordeal is over she is a changed woman. Where before she was fearless, she's now lost her confidence. She has PTSD, but she is in denial and determined to plow ahead and not let her experience affect her future missions.

Ten months later she is sent on a new assignment, and Gus is her partner. They go undercover in Colombia, as husband and wife and as part of a UN team, to negotiate the release of two of Lucy's co-workers who are being held hostage.

It's not a bad book. Lucy and Gus are both great characters. But the jungle setting on the mountain in Colombia, tramping around in the jungle with the FARC...just not my cup of tea I guess. So it was kind of slow going for me. Until about the last 100 pages, when I was suddenly on the edge of my seat and eagerly turning pages. Which made the book completely worth reading.

(I purchased this book at a library book sale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment