07 July 2012

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2)

JEANIENE FROST

Isn't that cover gorgeous? One Foot in the Grave picks up four years after the events of Halfway to the Grave. Cat Crawfield, half vampire,half human, has been working for an elite government unit, leading her own team and doing her part to eliminate as many rogue vampires as she can. She now has a reputation among the vampire world. She hasn't seen or had any contact with Bones, the vampire bounty hunter she worked with and fell in love with in the first book. And then unexpectedly she suddenly finds herself in the same room with him.

I raved about the first book, and I loved this one just as much. Cat, still sassy and sarcastic, has grown and matured, having settled into her new life and her job and being genuinely fond of her co-workers. Seeing Bones again brings up all sorts of emotions, feelings she never got over. But she isn't sure if he feels the same or if he hates her now, or maybe he moved on with his (undead) life and never even thought about her.

Now her life has been targeted, and in between dealing with trying to stay alive and find out who has put out the hit on her, she also has to figure out just where she and Bones stand with each other. And since she needs his help, there is no avoiding the issue. Or eventually the sex, and there is one very hot session that takes Cat somewhere she thought she'd never go.

As in the first book, the writing and dialogue is fresh and snappy and amusing. A couple of my favorite passages:
Lazarus stared at my glowing eyes uncomprehendingly. “It can't be. You breathe, your heart beats...it's impossible.”
“Yeah, isn't it? Life's a bitch and then one stabs you.”
And:

When I came up to the vampire that looked the closest to taking his companion on a one-way stroll, I didn't even bother with small talk. I just elbowed the pretty blonde he'd been speaking to aside and slapped my panties on his chest.
“As soon as I saw you,” I purred, “I knew I wouldn't be needing these.”
I don't have much else to say, except I loved this book and I can't wait to get the next one in the series.

Oh wait, I do have one more thought: Bones. Ahh, Bones. * sigh * Bones is the hottest, sexiest...words fail me. I love him. I do.

(I received this book through BookCrossing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment