22 April 2013

The Twilight Companion: The Unauthorized Guide to the Series



Synopsis: Everyone's in love with vampires, and if the vampire's name happens to be Edward Cullen, then readers of the wildly popular Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer can't help but be crazy about him. For all those who adore Bella Swan, Edward, and the rest of the Cullen family and can't get enough, this companion guide is a must.

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer follows an unlikely couple: Bella, a teenager, and her boyfriend, Edward, a vampire who has sworn off human blood. Added to the mix is Jacob Black, a werewolf who also loves Bella. Seductive and compelling, the four-book series has become a worldwide phenomenon.

With legends and lore about vampires and werewolves throughout history, insight into the series, quizzes, and heaps of fascinating facts, this companion guide will give millions of readers the information that they've been hungering for since book one! And as a special bonus, the companion guide helps readers to determine if the are compatible with a guy like Edward!

First line: Throughout the first three books of Stephenie Meyer's extremely popular Twilight Saga, heroine Isabella, aka Bella Swan, desperately wants vampire Edward Cullen to suck her blood.

Stats for my copy: Trade paperback, St. Martin's Press, 2008; 242 pages, purchased at a thrift store.

My thoughts: I have a confession – I've not read any of the Twilight books, although I did buy the books as they came out for my daughter, who loved them. My sister is also a huge Twihard, and so is my mother. And many of my friends and colleagues. I do have the first two books in my own enormous TBR pile, but have never really had any desire to read them. As for the movies, I only saw the first two, and I didn't particularly care for them. A small group of us go to our local discount theater every Tuesday night, which is dollar night, whether there is anything good playing or not. Our motto is “We'd rather see a bad movie than no movie”. But on the Tuesday that the movie was the last Twilight movie, I skipped it and stayed home.

When I was browsing at the thrift store and came across this book, I decided to get it, not for myself, but for my mom and/or sister. After skimming through a few pages, I thought that it might be amusing and slightly irreverent and not take itself too seriously, so I decided to go ahead and read it before handing it off.

And it was amusing, and just slightly irreverent, though the author did take Twilight and Bella and Edward very seriously. In fact, every time she mentioned how Edward was so gorgeous and tall and muscular (really?), I would recoil, and then have to remind myself that she was describing the book Edward, not the skinny little movie Edward. Personally, while I don't consider myself Team anyone, if I were forced to choose I would be Team Jacob. Though really I'm much more Team someone my own age, or at least closer to my own age. Unless it's Bones – I'm team Bones all the way.

While talking about the Twilight phenomenon, the author also goes into detail about vampire and werewolf lore, recounting old legends and beliefs, including a very interesting section about the real “Dracula”, Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia, and another section focusing on vampire bats.

And now in case you require further proof of the author's skill – reading this book almost makes me want to read the Twilight series. Almost. And I had to look the author up to see what else she's written, and may have to search out some of her other fan books, such as "Exploring Lemony Snicket", "The Science of Stephen King", "The Science of James Bond", and "The Hunger Games Companion".

For Twilight fans, the book is probably a must read. For non-twilight fans like myself, I still recommend this book if you have any interest in vampires and/or werewolves, and/or pop culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment