03 April 2024

Never Fall Again (Gossamer Falls, Book One)

 

LYNN H. BLACKBURN

Stats: Trade paperback, Revell, 2024

How acquired: Revell Reads Blogger Program

First line: Landry Hutton didn’t believe dreams came true anymore.

(Goodreads synopsis below.)

My thoughts: I have a new favorite author! I was literally laughing out loud at the banter between the characters less than ten pages in, so I knew I was going to enjoy this. Although I will admit that the huge family tree at the front of the book gave me a little trepidation about keeping all the characters straight. However, the main characters are the ones who count, and I didn’t actually have any issues after all.

Landry has isolated herself and her daughter, Eliza, at The Haven, the resort where she lives and works, selling her pottery and giving pottery lessons to the affluent guests. It’s been three years since she was widowed and fled to Gossamer Falls to get away from her inlaws, at the invitation of her best friend, Bronwyn. She’s starting to feel safe and settled, and with the purchase of a small plot of land, ready to have a real home for herself and Eliza. Enter Cal, who runs a construction company with his brothers. When Landry comes to Cal about building her home, he’s intrigued by her, but he’s vowed to never date a single mother due to an issue in his past. And since Landry isn’t interested in a relationship either, they agree that they are going to be good friends. Little do they know!

I liked that they built a solid friendship first, as I do love a slow burn. The author does a wonderful job filling out their characters, letting us inside their heads so we get to know them and understand their actions and motivations. This is a romantic suspense, but other than a major incident and mention of a smaller one, there’s not much suspense or action for the first half of the book. Not that I’m complaining – as much as I love adrenaline rush action I’m drawn in more by character driven stories over plot driven. I really liked Landry, who is brave and strong and determined to give Eliza a happy life. And I absolutely loved Cal, who often made me laugh. Another thing I’m very drawn to is humor in a romance. The narrative breezes along, often with light moments but still touching on some darker ones. Just like real life. And when the suspense portion of the story suddenly accelerated I was glued to the pages.

I loved how Cal’s family and friends kept referring to Landry and Eliza as “your girls”, to which he responded with quick denials. I think my favorite scene in the whole book was when Cal finally admitted it to himself. But truthfully, I loved the whole book. I’m very much looking forward to the next one.

*Received via the Revell Reads Blogger Program and voluntarily reviewed*

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Landry Hutton has spent three years rebuilding her life behind the secure gates of The Haven, an exclusive resort on the outskirts of Gossamer Falls, North Carolina. As the artist-in-residence, and with her pottery prized by The Haven's guests, Landry is finally ready to settle in permanently. She wants to give her daughter, Eliza, a safe home to grow up in and hires former Marine Callum Shaw to handle the construction. 

Cal grew up in Gossamer Falls and always knew he would someday join his family's business. He longs for a family of his own but has almost given up on that ever happening. Landry is funny, gifted, and everything Cal could ever want in a partner, but he vows to keep his distance. Landry has a daughter and a past. Cal has been down that road before and barely survived when the woman he loved left, taking her two sons with her. He can't bear to lose like that again. 

Before construction on the house can begin, Landry's pottery is destroyed in a suspicious fire. It soon becomes clear that Landry and Eliza are in grave danger--but because of whom? But, after losing one relationship, he is hesitant to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment