24 May 2011

The Hiding Place

CORRIE TEN BOOM, WITH JOHN AND ELIZABETH SHERRILL

For many years I was fascinated by World War II, the Holocaust, Occupation, etc., and I read numerous books on the subject, fiction and non-fiction alike. Then I think I got kind of burned out on the subject, but I still have many such books in my TBR pile. Recently I pulled out The Hiding Place, and was spell-bound through most of the book.

The first few chapters are devoted to Corrie ten Boom's childhood, living with her family above their watch repair shop. The family wasn't rich but they were happy, and these chapters are breezy and enjoyable.

Then Holland is occupied by the Germans and life quickly changes. Corrie is nearing 50 at this time, still living in the home with her sister Betsie and their father, when they begin hiding Jews in their home. They soon begin developing contacts and Corrie found herself helping to run an entire underground operation.
And then they are caught and arrested. Some time spent in jail, and finally taken to a concentration camp in Germany.

By the end of the book, the last couple of chapters or so, I was in tears for much of the story, as Corrie relates what life was like for her and her fellow detainees. The horror and the hopelessness are overwhelming.

(I received this book from a BookCrossing member in July 2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment