31 May 2011

The Wedding Portrait

FIONA HILL

I read this light Regency romance over Memorial weekend. While I didn't love it, it was still enjoyable. Two young people, betrothed for an arranged marriage. The wedding in a few days. The girl's cousins arrive, and then her godfather's son arrives, to paint her portrait. She falls for him, while her fiance and her cousin fall for each other. What to do?

Write a play that parallels the situation, and hope when the parents see the performance they get the hint.

The scenes where the young people are rehearsing the play, with everyone's minds on each other, were the most amusing. At first I thought the ending was going to be too convenient and contrived, but I was pleasantly surprised with how it played out.

(I purchased this used book at a library book sale in March 2011.)

No comments:

Post a Comment