17 January 2012

The Forgetful Bride

DEBBIE MACOMBER

Harlequin Romance No. 3166

First line: "Not unless we're married."

Those words are spoken by eight-year-old Caitlin. Her brother's best friend, Joe, age ten, wants to see what it's like to kiss a girl, but Cait believes girls and boys should not kiss unless they're married. So she insists the boys go through a pretend ceremony first. All for a quick peck on the lips.

Twenty years later, Caitlin is a successful stockbroker, desperately in love with her boss, who pays no attention to her at all and seems to be completely oblivious to her feelings. The office is being remodeled, and in saunters the owner of the construction company - Joe Rockwell.  He seems delighted to see Cait again, and announces to everyone within earshot that she is his wife, which embarasses her to no end. In fact, Joe embarasses Cait several times with his teasing, and I felt sorry for her. He kind of reminded me of an ex who used to say stupid childish things, and I almost cringed for poor Cait. But at the same time, I often laughed out loud.

I also cringed over Cait constantly whining to her best friend Lindy about her boss and how to get his attention and make him fall in love with her. I wanted to hit her over the head and shout at her to give up already. But I guess we've all been there at some point in our lives.

And the plot twist towards the end, that came out of the blue and surprised Caitlin so much? I saw it coming from practically the beginning of the book, so I was disappointed that she was so blind. But then, I guess love will do that to you, right?

This is the first book I've read by Debbie Macomber. I know, hard to believe. She only has a million books out, and I actually have a handful of them in my TBR pile. Overall, I enjoyed the book and I can see why Ms. Macomber is so popular.

(I purchased this book at library a book sale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment