02 August 2012

A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN

I finished this yesterday and I enjoyed it even more than I had anticipated I would. The first 1/3 or so I wasn't particularly in awe, but at some point I became completely captivated and didn't want to ever have to put the book down. I like that, while it's in the fantasy genre, the fantasy aspect of it does not just hit you over the head. It's about people and their daily lives, with some fantasy elements thrown in. My favorite chapters were the ones belonging to Tyrion, Jon and Ned. Sansa I did not care for at first, thinking she was quite spoiled and superficial, but at the same time, she was a product of the time she was being raised in, where girls were expected grow up and do feminine things and marry whoever their parents chose for them. And of course by the end I felt genuinely sorry for her.

I am most anxious now to get my hands on the second book, and to see the series, which I'll have to Netflix as I don't get HBO.


(I received this book through BookCrossing). 

No comments:

Post a Comment