01 July 2016

50 Ways to Hex Your Love (Hex, Book 1)


Synopsis from Goodreads: Jazz cant decide whether to scorch him with a fireball or jump into bed with him.

Jasmine Tremaine, a witch who cant stay out of trouble.

Nikolai Gregorivich, a drop-dead gorgeous vampire cop on the trail of a serial killer.

The sizzling love affair between Jazz and Nick has been off-again-on-again-for about 300 years. Mostly off, lately. But now Nick needs Jazz's help, and while Jazz and Nick try to figure out their own hearts and resist their ever-increasing attraction, they must steer clear of a maniacal killer with super-supernatural powers. They are surrounded by a hilarious cast of oddball paranormal characters, including Irma, the chain-smoking ghost who haunts Jazz's sports car, Dweezil, her ghoul of a boss, and Fluff and Puff, a pair of bunny slippers with sharp teeth and short tempers (watch your ankles!).

Stats for my copy: Kindle edition, Sourcebooks Casablanca,2008.

How acquired: Amazon

My thoughts: Linda Wisdom, aka Linda Randall Wisdom, is one of those authors who, after reading a couple of her books, I began collecting everything I could find of hers. I've had this book on my Kindle app since 2011, but hadn't gotten around to reading it, partly because I just so much prefer to read a physical book over digital, and partly because I was just a tiny bit put off by the book being a paranormal romance. For awhile that's all I was reading and I got a little burned out on the genre, especially vampires, and I just sorta thought to myself that everyone seemed to be jumping on the paranormal bandwagon. But a few days ago I found myself away from home with some time on my hands and no book, so I resorted to the reading on my phone. And wow, am I kicking myself now for not reading this sooner. I should've known that Ms. Wisdom would not disappoint me!

Jazz is a “young” witch, who was banished from the witch realm in 1313, along with twelve of her classmates at The Academy for Witches, for a period of one hundred years. Initially, one hundred years. Every time she uses magic in a way the Witches' High Council does not approve of, additional time is added to her banishment. Fast forward to 2007, where Jazz earns her living as a curse eliminator, and a limo driver for a service that caters to all things inhuman. She has a human roommate who is her best friend, a pair of vicious bunny slippers named Fluff and Puff who eat anything they can get a hold of, and a 1956 convertible she shares with the former owner's dead wife, Irma, a ghost who is cursed to remain in the car – the one curse Jazz has not been able to figure out how to eliminate.

Then there's Nick, the vampire she loves to hate. They've had a very on again off again relationship for centuries. Now he's in town, investigating the disappearances of vampires, and he wants Jazz to help him.

With Jazz and Nick, Ms. Wisdom has created an interesting world of witches, vampires, dwarves, and other assorted creatures. Jazz is a fun and lively character, and as she goes about her day we learn bits and pieces about her magical powers and that interesting world I just mentioned, without the author ever having to info dump on us. Jazz spends much of the first part of the book bantering with Irma and her roommate, Krebs, and trying to avoid talking to Nick. But eventually she finds herself drawn into his investigation, as well as into his arms. I loved them together, talking, arguing, fighting. I also loved the chattering snarly bunny slippers, and I hope Krebs will be in future books as well. I'd love to learn more about him. The only parts I didn't love were the sex scenes, especially one where Nick does something with his mind that made it a little over the top. Their lovemaking could have happened off page and I don't think it would have bothered me at all. And why is there a black cat on the cover picture? Since there wasn't one in the book, unless I missed it somehow.


A bouncy, fun, but not overly light or cutesy book. I look forward to continuing with this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment