28 January 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Undead

KIM HARRISON

I read the first book in this series, Dead Witch Walking, in April 2008, and have been collecting the other books as I came across them. As I started, I was a little worried that since it’s been two and a half years since reading the first book I might feel a little lost, but as little references to that storyline were mentioned my memory picked up and I was able to get involved in this one very quickly. 

Rachel Morgan is a very likable heroine. She’s young and impetuous, and sometimes leaps into action before giving the situation as much thought as she ought to. Jenks, her pixie sidekick, is enjoyable; Ivy, her living vamp roommate, a little less so. Ivy has been “off the juice” so to speak for some time, but she and her struggle to not bite humans is featured in the plot, and I am a little worried about what will happen to her in future books. It would certainly be unnerving to share a home with someone who could (and has) attack you at any given moment.

I would have liked to see more of Nick, Rachel’s human boyfriend. I know, these aren’t romance novels, but still. He’s another great character. All of Kim Harrison’s characters are great characters. Trent Kalamack is the enemy, and yet, like Rachel, I’m almost drawn to him!

(I received this book through the now defunct Frugal Reader website in November 2008).

No comments:

Post a Comment