17 July 2011

Mini Reviews

A few quick thoughts about various books I've read...

An Improper Proposal, by Meg Cabot

I loved this book. I adore Meg Cabot, who wrote this one early in her career under an assumed name so her father wouldn't know what she was writing! I love the humor in her books. How often, in a romance, is the hero described shuddering and making faces when having to drink something he doesn't like? (Purchased from Better World Books in February 2010.)



Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates

When I first started reading this book, it was just another book. It was okay, but not gripping. But then at some point I became so immersed in the story and the writing that I didn't want to put it down. Especially when I was about 100 pages from the end. I'd seen the movie already, so I knew what happened, and yet I was on pins and needles. And at the very end, I even felt a slight chill come over me and had goosebumps. Now that's some damn fine writing. (Received from a BookCrossing member in June 2009.)


American Gods, by Neil Gaiman

I enjoyed it, yet at times I seemed to slog through it. I loved the ending. But I'm not sure if I care about reading any further books from Gaiman. I guess the writing just didn't quite capture me. (Received through BookCrossing.com in December 2009.)





The Millionaire's Convenient Bride, by Catherine George

Wonderful! Catherine George is my favorite Harlequin author and I think this is my new favorite of her books! The characters are likable and real, and the love and affection between Connah and his daughter is very refreshing. Often in these types of books the hero seems stand-offish and aloof in the beginning, but Connah isn't. How could Hester not love them both? (Received through BookMooch.com in June 2009.)



Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein

I thought I'd read this a long time ago but I didn't remember or recognize any of it, so I think not. And frankly I had a really hard time getting into it, and then staying in it. So much so that, with 140 pages left to go, I decided to just quit and pass it on. (Received through BookCrossing.com in March 2008.)




Washington, D.C., by Gore Vidal

Took me a long time to get through. I had trouble staying interested in it, and I think part of the problem was that I didn't find any of the main characters particularly likeable. In fact, they were all a little detestable to me. (Inherited when my grandfather passed away a few years ago.)




Life Swap, by Jane Green

I loved this book about two women who swap lives for a magazine story. I was a little surprised at how long the book went on before the actual swap happened, but I didn't really mind as I enjoyed reading about both Vicki's and Amber's lives. The fact that the swap section seemed shorter also seemed very realistic to me from what I'd read. But I really would have liked to find out what happened later with Vicki and how her life turned out! I also thought that the writing style seemed a little different from previous Jane Green books I've read, but it very much suited the story. (Received through BookCrossing.com in June 2009.)

No comments:

Post a Comment